Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bitter sweet memories!

Tonight, my family and I went to Outback for dinner.  Boy did that stir up some memories.  I wanted to break down and cry right in the middle of the restaurant.  Back when my father was REALLY sick...in 1998, I bought my dad the last thing he ever ate outside of a hospital.  Possibly one of the last things he ever ate at all.  If I remember correctly, we didn't have a full and completed diagnosis....at least not to the extent of how bad his cancer was but we knew it was serious.  He hadn't been able to have bowel movement for quite some time because of how badly the cancer was.  It was completely blocking his bowels.  Well, before he was that bad off, I had gone to outback with a friend and brought home the rest of my blooming onion and the dipping sauce.  Dad polished it off for me and LOVED it!!!  We (our family) never ate at places like that because we didn't have the money to but one I started working and making my own money, I would sometimes go with friends and bring home my extra's and anyone that knew my daddy knew that he LOVED him some food.

I don't really remember exactly how it all happened.  It may have been fathers day...I'm not really sure.  That entire year is a big blur to me.  Some major events and holidays, I can't even tell you what we did.  Especially after he passed away.  But I decided I wanted to get my dad one last "treat" before he checked into the hospital.  I drove across town and bought him a blooming onion with extra sauce and brought it back home.  He sat in his recliner looking frail and ate it.  So tonight, as my family sat at the table at Outback, enjoying our blooming onion, it was really bitter sweet for me.  I think this is only the second time I've eaten there since my daddy died.  The other time was with my husbands team at work.  His co-workers and spouses were treated to lunch upon completion of their training.  There was so much going on, I didn't even have time to think about memories that day but tonight, for just a little bit, I was back at the home I grew up in watching my dad enjoy one of his last treats ever.  I miss you daddy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment