Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pray Without Ceasing....

God has really been dealing with me lately about life in general.  I've been longing to be in the place in my walk with Christ that I was when I was in my early 20's and working with a youth group back home.  I took my example from a man that used to come to our house and do Bible studies and prayer meetings.  He was SOOO in tuned with God and everything in his life was pointing back to God.  I found myself praying about this and longing to be such an example.  I prayed and asked God, "God, he is SO on fire for you.  I want that fire.  What does he do to be such an example for you everyday of his life?"  It wasn't long after that, we (my parents and I) had stopped by his house for something.  I can't remember why but I noticed that he didn't have his television on to the hottest show on for that night but rather a Christian station, when he played music, it was on Christian music.  Mostly praise and worship.  He guarded himself from the world and the things of the world.  You wouldn't find him in a movie theater unless it was a Christian movie playing.  and no, he didn't think of himself better than anyone because of this.  He loved unconditionally.  He just put into practice a verse that's been burning on my heart lately.  Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
     He literally shielded his spirit man from anything of the world.  Which, as difficult as it is, is what we are called to do.  We are to be in the world and not of it.  God laid it on my heart to fast from all "worldly" things until I felt He had released me from it.  So I did.  Which was so hard.  I was a "friends" addict and watched it every Friday night.  One of my best friends and I frequented the movies quite regularly.  It was a real challenge to have to tell her no, I can't go with you right now but we can go have a coffee or go out to dinner if you'd like.  It was a real challenge to not turn my radio to K-hits 106.9.  That was my favorite radio station at the time but I did it and KXOJ became my new favorite.  And you know what?  My life was happier, it was easier, I didn't feel the burden of the world on my shoulders anymore to be what everyone thought I should be.  My spirit sang from within.  It's like a term I remember learning in elementary school when relating to computers.  Garbage in, Garbage out.  What you take in on a daily basis in your life will change your attitude and it will be what you become.  If all you are hearing is negativity, you will be an angry and sad person.
     Well lately, I've been feeling that tug again.  I don't want to worry about politics or where our world is heading because you know what?  I've read the end of the book and we( Christ and His followers) win!!!  I don't want to worry about the latest fashion trends or hair styles or the hottest shoes or handbags because it's not going with me when I die anyway.  Why not take the money you were going to spend on that hot pair of prada shoe's (btw, I do NOT own a pair of prada but that doesn't mean I haven't expressed some wishful thinking about them from time to time and even followed them on Ebay! LOL) and buy a worthy pair at target and take the rest and buy some meals for those who won't be getting any meals today?
     I guess I said all that to say, when Philippians 4:8 started burning on my heart lately, I realized that verse is the epitome of praying without ceasing.  If only things of God are going into your heart and mind, you will be in a constant state of thankfulness, praise, adoration, intercession, etc....Yes, life does still go forward but you will be going forward with God on your side!  You'll find yourself singing praise songs while cooking dinner and doing the dishes and things that used to seem like "chores" will suddenly become a sanctuary.  A place to reflect on God's goodness and His mercies.  Not to mention, the extra dose of patience you are dealt when dealing with your kids.  And I'm not going to ask all of you to do the same challenge God called me to but I would like to ask you to pray about it.  Maybe make some subtle changes.  If you have 20 favorite shows you watch each weak, tithe on that time.  Replace 2 of those shows with a Christian broadcast show.  If you listen to your rock and country music a couple hours a day ( in the car or wherever) take 20 minutes of that time and listen to praise and worship and see if you don't feel better.  Try it, you just might like it!  :)  God bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment