Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My quest for a healthier me.

     Well, after a recent visit to my Dr. where I was basically told that because of my PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) I would not be able to lose weight without a hysterectomy and a procedure performed on my ovaries that would "cure" my PCOS, I began a new quest.  A quest to a healthier me.  All my life I've battled my weight.  Sure in high school I looked fine but in high school, I lived, breathed, ate, drank, and slept basketball.  Every chance I got I was playing or practicing.  It was shorty after high school that I noticed I was slowly gaining weight.  The only change to my life style was that I had to work more than I could play.   Until college that is.  In college, I started dropping a couple of pounds.  Tried out for and made the basketball team.  I was only there a semester however, before life's circumstances brought me back home.  To work again....and again, the weight started coming back on.  By the time I was 24, I was size I didn't want to be at all.  I was also to get married that year

     2 1/2 years after we are married, I give birth to our BEAUTIFUL eldest daughter.  She was truly a miracle as my husband was told he would most likely never be a father.  It didn't take me long to get back to my pre pregnancy weight.  Something about an emergency c-section that didn't go so well tends to play a role in that as well.  2 years and 3 weeks later, I give birth to our son.  I noticed it wasn't quite as easy to lose that weight from him.  Prior to getting pregnant with him, I had some issues and was diagnosed with PCOS.  It CAN affect and usually does affect fertility.  Since it took almost 2 years to get pregnant with our first (we started trying for kids immediately), my Dr. did put me on fertility drugs after 6 months of trying for our 2nd child with no success.  The drugs worked immediately.  We were elated to find out we were having a little a boy.  He is truly a blessing in our life.

Almost 2 years after his birth, I give birth to our 3rd and final beautiful child.  She was born on her big sisters birthday.  Happy BIRTHDAY LIV!!...AND MADI!!!  This time I was able to conceive immediately but again, the lbs weren't so easy to drop.  In fact, they never came off.  I was now the largest and most embarrassed of myself that I had ever been.  Through the years, I'd tried diet after diet.  I hit the gym 7 days a week and NOTHING worked.  If you are familiar with PCOS you probably understand that same frustration. 

I finally got to a point to where I have had enough.  I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.  I voiced my concerns and fears to my Dr.  I had also been researching a diet I had heard great reports and success stories on but as you can imagine, was very leary to try and waste money on yet another diet that would not work on me.  My Dr. seemed to think it was just a fad diet and brought up the hysterectomy.  I'll be honest with you, at first, I was ready to do it.  But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that after each of my surgeries I had had, my body felt weaker,  I'm just not sure I could take another MAJOR surgery.  3 babies and 5 surgeries in 5 years does a lot to a woman's body.  I decided I'd give this diet a chance.  It's called the HCG diet and I won't get into details about it as this post would take me all night.  If you are interested, you can read about it at www.HCGCompany.com  Well, this diet was working.  So much so that from Jan when I weighed my most to my last weigh in while on the HCG drops, I had lost a total of 23 pounds.  Most of which was done in a 40 day time span.  Well part 2 of the diet comes up when you stop using the drops and start adding in foods and as I feared, I started gaining some weight back.  I was a bit discouraged.  During the first part of the diet while on the drops, you are EXTREMELY limited to what you can eat and drink.  This diet got me thinking about better eating habits.  Once I saw the weight coming back on, I decided to do my own experiment.  I cut out dairy, added sugars and most starches.  Then I cut out eggs...I'm basically down to fruits and veggies only.  My milk is Almond milk.  My butter is made from soy milk.  If I want a dish with a meaty texture, I add in veggie burger crumbles or tofurkey or some other vegetarian meat substitute.  I even found a soda that is all natural.  No sugar, no carbs, no calories....and it tastes yummy!  Well, would you believe, weight has once again started dropping off.  It's amazing!  I feel great! I'm not hungry and as crazy as I probably sound, thinking about it, it makes perfect sense. 

The majority of human heath related diseases has been increasing at an alarming rate.  Why wouldn't it?  Have you seen how some of the food we consume and feed our children is made?  Go to Youtube and watch the video of how McDonald's chicken nuggets are made.  I would venture to say, if it disgusts you like it did me, your kids will never take another bite of McDonald's chicken nuggets.  There is an old saying, "you are what you eat!"  Well, I've decided, I'm going to eat healthy because I want to BE healthy.  My kids deserve that.  I deserve that!  And to PCOS, I say, BE GONE!!!  I am well on my way to evicting you from my body!  :)  I've had my "Ah ha" moment!  It's not been an easy transition. How could it be when I've been eating junk all my life.  Even the stuff I thought was healthy was junk.  Yes I've become that crazy label reader you see in the grocery store making sure what I'm consuming does not have dairy or eggs or meat product in it...or added sugar or high fructose corn syrup.  But I'm PROUD to be that crazy woman!  Watch out world!  A new me is emerging!  :)
God bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment