Friday, January 6, 2012

New Beginnings

So, it's a new year!  I can't believe how much quicker each year seems to fly.  I feel like I'm going to blink and my kids will be grown.  I keep looking for a "slow down" button.  If you happen to find one, please let me know where it is.

The purpose of this blog is to encourage you.  I encourage you not to make new years resolutions. What?  You ask. You hear me.  All to often we set ourselves up for failure and disappointment.  We set these resolutions that we know we've never kept and most likely will not be able to keep.  Instead, I encourage you to make short term goals.  See!!! I'm not for being lazy and accomplishing nothing.  I just think we need to be more realistic and set short term goals instead a huge crazy ones.  If you want to lose 40 lbs, don't set a resolution that you'll go to the gym every day and only eat 1,000 calories until you reach your goal.  Set a goal that this week, you will work out 3 days a week for 30 minutes and cut down on the sugar.  If you are a soda drinker and drink a few soda's a day, take 1 away each day this and another the next and so on and so forth until you wean yourself  off of them.

The problem with resolutions is, we try and bite off the whole chunk at 1 time instead of setting short attainable goals and when we fail, we are REALLY hard on ourselves.  With short term goals, you can set your attainable goals and then reward yourself when you meet that goal.  I think you'll find you'll more likely reach your final goal this way than starting off straight out of the gun with doing 1 hour of cardio 7 days a week and eating only green veggies.  :)  Happy New Year!!  And remember, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

No comments:

Post a Comment